Saturday, February 18, 2006

FLAK and Olympics progress to report

You know, it's funny how when I'm at a place or time where I can't write anything, I have a gazillion ideas for posts, but when I sit down in front of the computer, I draw a blank. So for a lack of anything better, I will post a knitting progress report.

I finally finished step 2 of the FLAK--the cable swatch. (Let's not mention that step 6 is due to be posted any day now.) I'm using Elann Peruvian Highland Wool in Periwinkle. I didn't really want to use wool, since I apparently have sensitive skin and can't stand the scratchiness, but several people on the FLAK list talked about how soft it is once washed, especially if you use conditioner (!) on it, and it is what Janet is using for hers, so I decided to try it. It's pretty soft for wool, but if I decide to do a pullover, I'm still going to have to wear something under it. I got gauge on size 4 Addi bamboo needles (I much prefer bamboo to metal) in what this site calls Box Stitch, and others call Double Moss (or Seed) Stitch. It's basically K2P2 for two rows, then P2K2 for two rows. You can see a bit of it on the left in the picture below.

If you look closely, you can see where I messed up about 1/3 of the way from the top. I had to frog back, and apparently started back on the wrong row. Oh, well, it's only a swatch. I haven't done the measurements yet, but after holding it up to me, I think the cable pattern may be a little too narrow, so I plan to add an additional 1/1 cross on either side of the group of open twists, which are my center panel. I think it will look better from a design standpoint, too. That will have to wait until my Olympic knitting is finished, though.

With the Olympics a shade over halfway through, here is a scan of my progress on the Urban Necessity Tam :

(Sorry for the crappy scan. I haven't gotten a USB cable for my camera phone yet.) I am planning to felt the tam, so I made the ribbing 1/3 longer and will do the same for the body to account for the additional shrinkage in height. I think I will still do the snowflake pattern on the top, in case it shows when I felt it. I hope this works--I would hate to crash and burn in my Olympic debut! If traffic continues to be as bad as last week, I will hve no trouble finishing in time. I always take knitting with me when I go somewhere, in case of traffic or long lines. Good thing--two days in a row, it took me an hour to drive the 22 miles to work!!! Having some knitting to work on keeps me from getting as frustrated as I would be without it, and I'm doing something productive with the time.

Well, it looks like I didn't have writer's block after all. Maybe I should start a list of things I want to write about so I don't freeze up when I sit down to write. I don't know, that sounds awfully organized for me. We'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great color!! It is gonna be a gorgeous sweater...